Finance your stay


To support yourself during your studies in France, you may be eligible for scholarships, the origin of which depends on the terms of your mobility.

Is your home university a partner of the UPJV, via an exchange programme (Erasmus+, Erasmus Mundus, ISEP, BCI) or a bilateral agreement ?

You may be eligible for a scholarship specific to the chosen mobility programme.

Contact your university's International Relations Department to find out more !

French and foreign governments, local authorities, companies, foundations, associations, higher education institutions... Many organisations offer mobility grants to students wishing to study in France and Europe.

The Campus France scholarship search engine

Campus France has created a directory, "Campus bourse", which lists existing scholarship programmes. Its search engine allows you to easily find the scholarship programmes that correspond to your profile:

  • Filter your search by nationality, field and level of study
  • Identify the programmes you can apply for
  • Send your application!

To find your mobility grant and join us, go to Campus Bourse !

Campus France

The UPJV participates in the Eiffel programme of excellence developed by the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs.

The Eiffel programme enables higher education institutions to host the best international master's and doctoral students by offering them attractive scholarships.

You are a foreign student and you hope to come to the UPJV with an Eiffel scholarship ?

  • Contact your Master's supervisor or your thesis director to get their support in the first instance
  • Contact the UPJV's International Relations Department to find out how to apply and the deadline for submitting applications to the institution

Please note: The deadline for submission of applications to the UPJV is different from the deadline for receipt of applications to Campus France. 

To find the deadline for the submission of applications to the UPJV, please contact: 

Esther Caron
International Relations Department

  • Once your application has been submitted to the UPJV, the university examines your application
  • If the UPJV accepts your application, it submits your file online on the dedicated Campus France website

Please note: Only the UPJV is authorised to submit an application file to Campus France. Applications sent directly by students or transmitted by foreign institutions will be declared ineligible.

Timetable for the 2022 session: The next call for applications will take place at the end of September/beginning of October 2021.

For more information

Working while studying

Like French students, international students can work in France to supplement their income in addition to their studies.

All international students have the right to work in a company or institution during their studies in France.

This right is subject to certain conditions depending on the country of origin: 

  • students from countries outside the European Union must be in possession of a "student" residence permit
  • Algerian students, in addition to their "student" residence permit, must present a temporary work permit (Franco-Algerian agreement of 27 December 1968)
  • French law allows you to work only part-time. Your working hours over the year must not exceed 60% of a full-time job, i.e. approximately 964 hours per year
  • In France, the law defines a compulsory minimum wage. It guarantees you a basic gross hourly wage of 10.25 euros, or 8.11 euros net

In France, international students can also work within their host institution or university :

  • maximum 670 hours between 1 September and 30 June
  • maximum 300 hours between 1 July and 31 August
  • the duration of the employment contract may not exceed twelve months

At the UPJV, several missions can be offered to you :

  • students reception
  • health prevention
  • disability support
  • support for success
  • cultural and sporting events
  • IT support...

Compulsory internship as part of your training

Some courses include a compulsory internship period, formalised by a contract between the UPJV and the organisation that will host you.

If your internship lasts more than two months, the host organisation is obliged to pay you 577.50 euros gross (451 euros net) per month.

Do you want to work during your studies at the UPJV ?

Contact the Department for Vocational Guidance and Integration@email

Guide des jobs - CRIJ Hauts-de-France (in French)

Accommodation deposit (VISALE)

When you want to rent accommodation in France, the owner of the accommodation (public or private) requires a guarantee (often parental) to ensure the continuity of rent payments. 

If you are unable to provide a guarantee, Action Logement can act as guarantor for you with its Visale guarantee scheme.

The VISALE guarantee scheme is offered by Action Logement. Totally free of charge, it acts as a guarantor for you and takes over the payment of rent in the event of unpaid rent.

In the event of a problem, VISALE pays the landlord and organises with you the repayment of your unpaid debt in instalments. This does not exempt you from paying your rent regularly ! 

The Visale guarantee scheme has been extended to international students. You must be between aged 18 and 30 years old and be enrolled in a higher education institution.

  • EU students will be required to present a valid identity document
  • Non-EU students must present a valid long-stay visa with a residence permit marked "Student" or a valid "Student" residence permit or a valid Talent passport
  • This deposit can be requested for rents not exceeding €600/month, in both private and public rental housing

The process is carried out directly online at

  • You apply for a VISALE visa in your personal and secure area
  • After the Action Logement teams have checked the information entered, you will receive your VISALE visa
  • You present your visa to your landlord and give him/her the copy intended for him/her
  • The future tennant logs on to and obtains his or her bond contract
  • You sign the lease and enjoy your accommodatiion !

You can check your eligibility for the VISALE scheme via this link :

In addition to a deposit, landlords ask for a security deposit equivalent to one month's rent.

It is paid when you move into the accommodation and you get it back in full when you leave, except in the case of damage to the accommodation. It is then used to reimburse the landlord for any repairs he or she may have to make.

Action Logement offers a zero-interest loan to advance the security deposit. This is the "LOCA-PASS" advance, which is available to international students provided they are employed.

For more information

Housing assistance (CAF)

The French government provides financial aid for housing to people with low incomes, subject to certain conditions. This housing assistance, which is available to internationals, is paid by the Caisse d'Allocations Familiales (CAF) (Family Allowances Find). 

International students and staff are eligible for housing benefit. It can be paid:

  • for accommodation in a university residence
  • for a flat or house rented from a private landlord

The allocation of housing benefit is not automatic. You must meet the means test set by the CAF and apply online at the CAF website, attaching a list of documents, including :

  • Proof of identity (national identity card or passport)
  • Your birth certificate with a certified translation into French
  • proof of registration at the University
  • your European Health Insurance Card
  • a residence permit valid for at least the duration of your academic year
  • proof of registration with the student social security system

After studying your application, if you are entitled to it, the CAF will pay you your grant within 3 months, the amount of which is calculated according to your family and financial situation.

Please note! This benefit is not retroactive. You are strongly advised to apply as soon as possible, even if your residence permit has not yet been validated.

Do a simulation to estimate the amount of aid

Please note !

The CAF website is only available in French. When you arrive in France, our teams will help you with this process:

  • If you are an exchange student, contact our mobility advisors: @email
  • If you are an individual mobility student, you can get help from the advisors at the "Welcome to France" one-stop reception desk. This is held every academic year between September and October. Contact@email
  • If you are a teacher-researcher in mobility, our Euraxess Centre will help you with this process. Contact@email

Need help ?

If you are a student enrolled in an exchange programme, our mobility advisors can help you with this process.

If you are an individual mobility student, you can get help from the advisors present at the one-stop reception desk when you arrive at the UPJV. This is held every academic year between September and October.

If you are a mobile doctoral studentthe Euraxess Centre can help you with this process.